If you take care of your septic system, it should give you hassle-free service. Follow these tips to keep it in good working order and to avoid unnecessary septic tank repair.
- Although bacteria break down solids, the tank needs to be pumped out every 3 to 5 years.
- A septic system can only handle so much water at once. Your tank needs time to separate the liquids and solids and then send the liquids into the drain field. When doing laundry, do not overload the machine. Also, don’t do small loads on the ‘large’ setting because this wastes water. Spread out your laundry to allow time for the tank to recover. Overuse will lead to septic tank repair sooner or later.
- Don’t put heavy things on the ground over the drain field or tank, such as an aboveground pool, asphalt, cement, a shed, or a parked car or RV. These can damage the pipes and tank, resulting in reduced efficiency of the drain field.
- Never flush or pour anything that is not biodegradable down drains. These things can kill the bacteria that break down solids.
- Cut down large shrubs and trees near the drain field and tank. Also keep the area clear of roots, which can damage the tank and pipes. Be particularly careful of plants with aggressive root systems, such as willow trees.
At Clark Septic (formerly Clark Environmental Services), we are still the great family-owned business in Orlando, Florida that you’ve relied on for years! From drain field repairs and installation to septic maintenance & pumping, we’re here for you. For fast, professional service, please contact us.